Prof. Kionka has authored or co-authored law books, book chapters, law review articles, bar journal and newsletter articles, continuing legal education materials, and other professional publications. Among his more significant writings are:
- EVIDENCE: MATERIALS FOR AN AGE OF SCIENCE AND STATUTES (Lexis/Nexis Law Publishing, 6th edition 2007) (co-authored with three other law professors). Used in law schools throughout the United States as a course book for the Evidence course.
- PRACTITIONER’S HANDBOOK FOR APPEALS TO THE ILLINOIS SUPREME AND APPELLATE COURTS (2018 edition). A concise summary of Illinois appellate practice and procedure for lawyers who do not often handle appeals.
- TORTS IN A NUTSHELL (West Academic Publishing), 7th edition 2020. A concise (590-page) treatise covering all major topics of U.S. tort law. For use by law students and others as a reference or study aid.
- TORTS BLACK LETTER OUTLINE (West Group, 5th edition 2013). One of the books in West’s outline series for law students.
Law Review Articles:
- Survey of Illinois Law: Appellate Law and Practice, 42 S. Ill. U. L.J. 643 (2018)
- Things To Do (Or Not) To Address the Medical Malpractice Insurance Problem, 26 N. Ill. U. L. Rev. 469 (2006)
- Recent Developments in the Law of Joint and Several Liability and the Impact of Plaintiff’s Employer’s Fault, 54 La. L. Rev. 1619 (1994)
- Evidence, 17 S. Ill. U. L.J. 873 (1993) (survey) (co-authored with Jim Williams)
- Evidence, 14 S. Ill. U. L.J. 985 (1990) (survey)
- Evidence, 12 S. Ill. U. L.J. 967 (1988) (survey)
- Implied Assumption of the Risk: Does It Survive Comparative Fault?, 1982 S. Ill. U. L.J. 371
- Internal Operating Procedures of the Illinois Reviewing Courts, Chapter 14, Illinois Civil Practice After Trial (IICLE 1970, 1976, 1980, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989)
- Instructions and Special Interrogatories, Chapter 11, 3 Illinois Civil Practice (IICLE 1991)
- Trial Practice – Plaintiff, Chapter 5, Illinois Structural Work Act Practice (IICLE 1976, 1979, 1985, 1991) (with Jack Norton and Keith Smith)
- Fatal Cases, Chapter 8, Illinois Workers’ Compensation Practice (IICLE 1975, 1977, 1979, 1981, 1983, 1985, 1986) (with Ken Lewis)
Bar Journal and Newsletter Articles:
- Through the Looking Glass: Humpty Dumpty and Opinions That Aren’t, THE APPELLATE ADVOCATE, 2003 Issue 3 (newsletter of the American Academy of Appellate Lawyers)
- Comparative Negligence Comes to Illinois, 70 ILL. B.J. 16 (1981)
- The King is Dead, Long Live the King: State Sovereign Immunity in Illinois, 59 ILL. B.J. 660 (1971)